Monday, July 07, 2008

You Can't Outrun the Long Arm of the Law

So I had my day in court. The actual wait time wasn't bad at all. I was done by 9:15 or so. I barely had time to read anything! I started out at the wrong court house (who knew we had more than one!), but that was fine because the right one was only a block away from the wrong one. Unfortunately, by the time I got in there, it was packed! You see all kinds of people when you go to court. One lady "wasn't sure" if she was guilty of theft of property. Really? How can you not be sure if you stole something?

Anyway, my fine was only $161 and although I realize that is no small sum, I was expecting at least $200, so I'm OK with it. Unfortunately, I also have to go to defensive driving and that costs $30. But whatever. It was an interesting life experience.

Then when I got home from court, there was a "warning" thing on my door from the code enforcement people saying that my grass was too high. Are you freakin' kidding me?! Who knew that our fair city even had a grass ordinance. Color me surprised!

All's well that ends well, though. The boy changed my lawnmower blade (my previous one had not been changed in all of the 6 or more years that I've had my mower--I'm pathetic with the lawnmower maintenance-and apparently yard maintenance), so I mowed today. The best news of all is that I think the spider killing granules that my bug guy put out are working. I saw lots of crickets, but none of the blood thirsty monsters that usually move like a sea of evil under my feet while I mow. Today's score: Jen 1, Spiders 0.

No comments: