Saturday, April 14, 2007

"Ted Bundy Saved My Life"

The other day, I was talking with some of the local Bookcrossers at our monthly meeting, and we started discussing serial killers.

It came up because I'm reading a true crime book about The Green River Killer and we were discussing the author, Ann Rule. She has written over 25 true crime books about various serial killers. The interesting thing is that before she started writing books (or at least before she got very far along in writing books), she worked at a suicide hotline. One of her coworkers was none other than Ted Bundy. There he was, fielding calls from suicidal people and talking them down from ledges. In the meantime (or soon after), he was becoming one of the most notorious serial killers.

Then we started thinking how weird it would be to have been one of the suicidal callers who received help from Bundy. The folks at the meeting thought that the phrase "Ted Bundy Saved My Life" would possibly make a good T-shirt slogan.

Rule wrote a book called The Stranger Beside Me which is about Bundy. I might have to look for that. How many books about serial killers can be on my bookshelf before I'm profiled as a potential serial killer?

In totally unrelated news, I think Sally Field saved my life yesterday. I was jogging at the gym and trying to really concentrate on what was going on on TV (so as not to die), and Sally Field came on advertising the osteoporosis drug, Boniva. I must have seen the commercial dozens of times before, but I never really paid attention. Yesterday, I welcomed any distraction available, so I actually listened. She said something like, "My girlfriend told me that she has to set aside time every week to take her osteoporosis medication. She couldn't believe it when I told her that I only have to take Boniva once monthly. Blah blah blah. My girlfriend asked her doctor about Boniva and boy is she glad she did! Now she has free time to do the things she really enjoys."

I'm wondering how long it took her friend to take the pill each week. I mean, sometimes if I have to give my dogs a pill it will take a long time because they don't like to take medicine, but I can usually wrap a pill up in some lunch meat or shove it up in a hot dog and they don't notice I've given it to them. Before the chick took hours each week trying to down her osteoporosis medication, maybe she should have tried that.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

oh yeah... I might even take my meds twice if I got to do it in a treat.

What a concept.

ha ha ha.

Anonymous said...

How does "really concentrating on what's going on on TV (so as not to die)" help to keep you from dying?
The first half of the article was very interesting. Too bad those calls weren't recorded.