Friday, February 23, 2007

Butter the Hitchhiker



Yesterday after we had gone to the gym and eaten dinner, Kevin looked out my back door and didn't see Butter. I stepped outside and called her and she didn't come. She was on the run again! We went out and found a new hole she had dug and I went to check my voicemail. I had four new messages. The first message was from a lady one street over. She said, "I have your dog. My number is blah blah blah." The next message was from another lady. She said, "I have your dog, Butler. My number is blah blah blah." The next two messages were from the same lady. It became apparent that the first lady saw how much of a mess Butter is and let her go. The second lady must have started to feel the same way to have called so much.

I called her back and she told me her story. She's the unfortunate owner of a beagle too. Her baby's name is Bandit. She said she was driving through the neighborhood and saw a beagle using the bathroom in a yard (way to make friends, Butter!) and she thought it was her dog, so she stopped the car and yelled, "Bandit, get in the car!" And Butter ran over and did a flying leap into her car before she could realize that it wasn't her dog (Butter loves car rides!). So she took her home and fed her and gave her water and treats. Then she was going to go for a walk and decided to take Butter with her, but Butter insisted on running instead. So Butter took her on a 20 minute run. I walked over and got her from the lady and Butter trotted all the way home like she wasn't even tired. She did sleep well last night, though.

When we got her home, we started splicing together the electric fence. That's not the easiest thing to do in the dark, but you do what you have to do. We set up the fence and then of course we needed to test it. It's not animal abuse to throw doggy treats under the fence wire and laugh when the dog gets shocked, is it? It was for her own good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a Chow Chow as a kid and the best way for us to get him home after he set himself free was via a car ride as well.

Not the brightest of animals since each time his ride only lasted a couple of blocks back home to captivity.

Unless if he came home with someone elses pet in his mouth all proud of his trophy kill. Yea our neighbors were not all to happy with him over the years.

Scribbit said...

"Throw doggies treats under it and laugh . . . " I shouldn't laugh either but I am.

Not nice. But rather funny!