Monday, December 11, 2006

A Postal Hint

Here's my tip for the day:

Don't go to a place called Tobacco Country (actually that's not the exact real name of the place) and expect to mail a package internationally.

I know what you're thinking...you're feeling cheated because you already knew that.

In my defense, the Tobacco Depot (again, not the real name) has a post office substation inside of it. I thought that meant I could take stuff there and mail it. To an extent it did mean that. I dropped off a Christmas card straggler and the tobacco sales lady turned postal worker dealt with that like a champ. She also dealt with a package headed to TX beautifully. Then I plopped down a package headed to the UK. I shouldn't have expected her to know that UK is not a state abbreviation.

When she pulled up a list of countries on her computer (by this time, I was coaching her on what to do even though I've never worked for the Post Office or the Tobacco Emporium) and I saw countries like Argentina, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Iran, etc. come up and she called them states, I should have turned and walked away. When I asked to see her instruction manual so I could show her what a customs form looks like and she was baffled, I should have given up--she showed me the manual, but she couldn't find a customs form. Did I give up that easy? No.

When she got help on the phone and asked that I talk to them to explain what I wanted and as soon as I said I wanted to send a package to the UK via economy mail the line went silent, I should have apologized for the inconvenience and gone on my merry way.

Anyway, eventually I did give up. The package is back in my car, destined for a trip to the 'real' post office.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think independent postal places have the most incapable personnel of any Mom&Pop shops.

(all hail the mighty alliteration)

No, seriously. I hate the normal post office because of the long lines. So instead I do all my shipping from a little local store near my apartment. One of the men that works there is quite nice and recognizes me. The woman, however... every time I see her (which is surprisingly often) she looks like she has either just been diagnosed with a terminal illness or has a stiff metal rod poking her in the behind and whoever is talking to her is at fault. It's annoying to never see a smile from this woman! It's like my business pisses her off.

Mercy's Maid said...

At least the lady I dealt with was super-nice! Could always be worse!

Lainy said...

Wow. you are right. It's almost the same incident as mine lol.