Monday, November 05, 2007

Maybe I'm Socially Inept

I know I probably am. Goodness, how could I not be? (You have no idea the mountains I've climbed. None of you.)

But I just don't get some things.

My future-niece-in-law's (FNIL) mom was talking to FNIL about some friends of hers that are expecting a baby and asked if it was planned. My FNIL said, "No, I think it was kind of a shock." FNIL's mom said, "Well, if she wasn't using birth control, it shouldn't be a shock."

My niece (the one who has a 3 month old unplanned baby) was in the room. I don't get why my niece was uber offended about that, but later at the bridal shower, she had the nerve to say the following things to and about me as if they're socially acceptable conversation:

I can't see Jennifer ever getting married.

I just don't think she will.

And when I confronted her about it (as quietly and nicely as one can at a wedding shower) and said, "Do you have any idea how rude that is?" She said, "It's not rude. I just don't think you'll ever get married. I just can't imagine you in a white dress and everything." At which point I told her to just be quiet because it wasn't getting any better. In the meantime, my sister who had been sitting between us just looked at me like I had lost my mind for saying my niece was being rude. And then she just got up and said, "I've got to get out of the middle of this."

Because, you know, only certain people have the right to be offended. Nobody else's feelings matter. I should be used to it by now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...Join us next week for another episode of "Days of MY life"...

Good grief - from what you wrote, you sounds like the only person demonstrating some sense - sorry you're gathering with family didn't go so well... :(

Anonymous said...

AH! Don't ya just love family gatherings! wow I can't believe she said all that. What was the deal with the "white dress" remark o.o lol