Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Pitter Patter of (12) Little Feet

You didn't want children? Ha! You thought a dog would be the easy way out? Ha ha! We've blessed you with a toddler--for the next twenty years! Ha ha ha!

Yes, something happens to you when you become a dog owner. Something insidious creeps into your brain like a fungus and eventually renders you completely insane.

--A Widow, A Chihuahua, and Harry Truman by Mary Beth Crain


This is an update to today's earlier post (copied and pasted from a note I sent to my friend Elaine).

I just came home for lunch to let her out to go potty (I had her shut up in one of my bathrooms). I had taken everything off the floor and put it on the counter so she couldn't get to anything that she could tear up.

Anyway, I walked in my house and thought, "Dang, I have one GOOD smelling house! It smells great in here! Like cinnamon!" I walked around the corner and saw something sticking out from under the bathroom door and thought, "what is that?!" And then it dawned on me. It was a stick from one of these sticking out from under the door. Which could only mean...

Yeah. She climbed up on my bathroom counter. Knocked the diffuser thing off and broke it into a million pieces. Proceeded to cut herself and bleed all over everything that would stand still long enough, and she even managed to leave paw prints on the mirror that hangs over the sink.

I guess she got lonely and freaked out. Right now she's sleeping by my feet.

LUCKILY, her owner called me earlier, so they're going to pick her up this evening.

---------

Since then, I've learned that the dog's name is Laila and she's gone home with her mommy who is looking for a new home for her (they've only had her since Friday). She said they have a friend who has 3 labs who wants her. Hopefully, they will be able to work that out. She's a great dog, but she's got some separation anxiety issues.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dadgum, you're "pier 1" through and through, aren't you?

I haven't gone in one since you worked there. But I am a male, so I guess my predisposition to enter is drastically reduced.

Anonymous said...

One of my dogs has separation anxiety issues. NOT FUN.