Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Habitat


Woodhouse's Toad


Isn't he cute? I found this guy when I was mowing my 9 ft. tall grass yesterday. He was nestled into some grass near where the air conditioner drips outside (I'm sure there's a technical name for that, but you know what I'm talking about).


I was impressed that he didn't even try to pee on me. Usually they do. It's their way of saying, "Hands off, #$%$^!" "How do you do?" I'm going to try to find the toad that's been leaving "presents" on my front porch and see if it's the same kind. I spotted him the other day and his markings weren't as pronounced as this guy. I'll have to take a closer look.

My back yard is also host to about a million grasshoppers. They were flying all around me while I was mowing and they looked like little white butterflies until they landed.

Unfortunately, my backyard is also a haven for the biggest spiders known to man. I hate them, I hate them, I hate them. To add insult to injury, lots of them were carrying around egg sacs while I was mowing. It was disgusting.

It took forever to mow the back yard, and when I was almost done, I think the mower got too hot and just refused to work anymore. As a result, I have an island of misfit weeds in the back yard now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...He was nestled into some grass near where the air conditioner drips outside..."

I'm not sure of the technical name either...my husband says it's condensation. All that I know is that we're collecting the stuff in a 5-gallon bucket and using it to water some of our plants. If they start growing toads, I'll let you know.

Pamela said...

she toad you it was condensation ..

I was totally amphibious

Anonymous said...

I'm showing Josh your frog, and he is saying "ewe nassy frog. That's nasy." Nassy=Nasty lol. He was chasing a frog last weekend in Bever's Bend. And then a big, hairy, scary spider crawled over to us, too. It was almost the size of my freakin hand! Then he screamed "EWE SPIDER GROSS" and kept backing away. Reminded me of you, except he wasn't screaming....or running away .... or having a panic attack :D

Mercy's Maid said...

E-

He probably said fewer expletives about the spider than me too. :)

I tried to upload the other toad picture this morning and my computer was acting stupid. I'll try again when I go home.