Wednesday, May 02, 2007

And Then it Went 'Kaboom!': When Good Lawn Mowers Go Bad

When I got off work yesterday, I scurried home to mow my yard (didn't I just do that?). Tuesday tends to be my non-gym night and the yard was looking pretty craptastic.

My dad brought me a bookshelf when they came to visit this weekend. It's over 7ft tall and about 4ft wide (aren't you jealous?). At this point in time, It's still out in the garage because I have to do some rearranging in my office and my guest bedroom before I can put it in the house.

It didn't occur to me that my lawn mower was kind of "imprisoned" in my garage. Between the bookshelf, the kiddie pool (for the dogs) filled with straw (for the dogs), and various other necessities, it took some doing to get the lawnmower out of the garage. Then I went to fill it up with gas only to realize that there wasn't really much gas in the gas container. I figured I'd have just about enough to do the yard anyway, and went ahead and started mowing.

I finished the front yard with no problem.

I went to the back yard and started moving dog toys to the patio so I wouldn't chop them to bits. I pretty much have the yard debris dog toy inventory committed to memory.

Rope toy? Check!
Plastic flower pot turned chew toy? Check!
Weird teething ring type thing? Check!
Glow in the dark ball which has already been hit by the lawnmower once? Check!
Baseball that appeared mysteriously from out of nowhere?
Baseball that appeared mysteriously from out of nowhere?
Baseball that appeared mysteriously from out of nowhere?

"Oh well," I figured. "I'll find it when I'm mowing and kick it out of the way."

I did find it. I found it when the mower hit it and went, "KABOOM!" and immediately died with a plume of black smoke and the stench of burning mower insides.

I only had about three more swaths of grass and I would have been done. I tried to restart the mower, but with no luck. I don't know if it's really broken or if it ran out of gas. I'll go get some gas in the next day or so and try again, but just in case, does anyone know a good lawn mower repair place?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The hunt question was a question that was mailed to me. She actually didnt tell me what her blog address was..


If you need help finding one, let me know

Amy

Mercy's Maid said...

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense! I thought you meant that the answer for the first question was supposed to come from a participant's blog.

Anonymous said...

David's Lawnmower Repair on 286 is pretty convenient...

I don't know anything about his work, but he gave me water once when my truck overheated and I promised myself to use his business if I ever needed lawnmower work !

Anonymous said...

LOL! You have me crackin' up! I'm over here to see if I can find something interesting out about you (#1 in the hunt at Amy's)! Ohh, this is perfect! You like to break lawn mowers in your spare time, bwhahahaha! :o)

Love your sense of humor!! :o)