Thursday, May 10, 2007

13 Bookish Quotes (TT #14)


Thirteen Bookish Quotes (#14)


When I'm reading a book, I try to make a note of any quotes that I particularly enjoyed. Sometimes they're funny. Sometimes they're deep. Sometimes I just like the way the author describes something. Anyway, Here are a few of the quotes I've pulled out of books.

1. Then, at night, before I went to sleep, I'd read teen magazines, which I'd just discovered. I read about where hems should fall and how faces should look and what to say to boys to lure them and hold them. And I thought, wait. I don't think I can be this. It began to occur to me that I was a failure. I lost my grip. By the middle of the year, the phone replaced Hitchcock and my sure dreams of being everything. --The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg (This is a great book about a 50 year old woman who kind of has a midlife crisis and starts evaluating everything in her life.)

2. Her hair looked newly coiffured and she was dressed in a lurid Prospero-patterned dress that might have been her Sunday best, but not anyone else's. --Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde (This is part of his Thursday Next series which is wonderful.)

3. ...and as she looked at the back of his head she was overwhelmed by the fact that at that very moment she was creating her own past. To let Dennis go that way without even saying a word would be a memory she'd have to have for the rest of her life. It seemed as if it was something Liz should have known, and Shawn. They should have known what they were risking. The present becomes the past, and it continues inside you. --My Darling, My Hamburger by Paul Zindel (This is geared toward teens, but it's SO good.)

4. I know I'm lucky, and I'm not starving and I'm not a refugee and my relatives haven't all been massacred but, I'm sorry, that makes no difference when your spirit is sore. --Revenge of the Middle Aged Woman by Elizabeth Buchan

5. To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation. --Life of Pi by Yann Martel

6. On Baby's First Day of Winter Madelyn sat before a video of A Christmas Carol, then watched as, in imitation of a Victorian gentleman, my brother applied a pair of mutton-chop sideburns. This was accomplished not with a disguise kit, but simply, using two strips of raw bacon that ran along his jawline and remained in place for minutes at a time through the miracle of fat against human flesh. --Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris

7. My girl Katie is only two and I always think, 'Monica, why did you go and let this wonderful creature steal your heart like this?' --Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan

8. All morning I'd felt the strange disjuncture that comes from reconnecting with your past. There's such a gulf between yourself and who you were then, but people speak to that other person and it answers; it's like having a stranger as a house guest in your skin. --Animal Dreams by Barbaga Kingsolver

9. Now people might say that was bad, but in my heart, all along there was never room for anything else but all the babies I never had. All those little fingers that never touched my eyes to see if they would blink. --The Elegant Gathering of White Snows by Kris Radish

10. It's not pride I'm feeling, it's another sin. Worse than all the other ones,which are immediate, violent, and hot. This one sits inside you and quietly eats you from the inside out like the trichina worms the pigs get. It's the Eighth Deadly sin. The one God left out. Hope. --A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

11. No one with real integrity tries to sell their integrity to you. People with real integrity hardly notice they have it. --The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

12. Some twenty thousand people took refuge in the Superdome, told to come by the city's mayor, who called it a shelter of last resort. He'd hoped that help would arrive from the state or federal government within two days. It didn't. Hope is not a plan. --Dispatches from the Edge by Anderson Cooper

13. Got dressed in a short skirt, then me and Jas walked up and down to the main road. We wanted to see how many cars with boys in them hooted at us. Ten!! (We had to walk up and down for four hours...still, ten is ten!!!) --Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison (This is part of her Georgia Nicolson series which is hilarious!)


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!






12 comments:

Special K ~Toni said...

#11- so true
#13- I laughed hard at that one!

Swazzy Gal said...

I totally agree with # 4. :D

Anonymous said...

Love number 8. I love that book, and particularly that specific sentiment.

Tink said...

Great list, I enjoyed it very much. I might pick up some of those books.
Thanks for visiting my food TT!

Rebecca said...

Those sound like some interesting books. Thanks for sharing. My TT13 is up at http://www.anyapples.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

I don't think I've read any of those, but a couple are on my pbs list.

Happy Thursday.

Anonymous said...

Love #5! Someone remind me not to try using immobility as a mode of transportation.

Mo said...

Some good quotes from some good books! (I really liked #s 5 & 13 - perhaps I'll have to give those two books a look-see)

TeaMouse said...

I've heard good things about the Life of Pi.

I'm amazed you remember these quotes!

Mercy's Maid said...

I don't remember them. :) I put little post it tabs in the book when I find something I like and then I add it to my bookcrossing journal entry when I'm finished reading the book.

Anonymous said...

#7 and #12---I love! I was so excited to get my hands on anything related to Anderson Cooper.

Scribbit said...

I love the "eyes not poked"