Thursday, April 05, 2007

13 Book Recommendations, According to Amazon (TT # 9)




Here are 13 books that Amazon recommends for me based on ratings I've given other books:

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. Yes, please! I can't wait to get my hands on this book.

2. Stuart Little by E.B. White. I love Charlotte's Web, so I think I'd like this too.

3. To Own a Dragon: Reflections on Growing Up Without a Father by Donald Miller. He's one of my favorite authors.

4. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I've heard great things about this book.

5. The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer. This is already on my Bookcrossing wish list.

6. Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson. This author is hilarious. I stumbled upon her blog through another blog and she cracks me up. This book is also on my Bookcrossing wish list.

7. The Girls by Lori Lansens. I don't know why, but I'm fascinated by conjoined twins. Another BC wish list book.

8. To Fly Again by Gracia Burnham. I loved her other book, In the Presence of My Enemies.

9. Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett. The Secret Garden and A Little Princess are favorites of mine, so I'm sure I'd like this one too.

10. We are All Welcome Here by Elizabeth Berg. I honestly know nothing about this book, but I've read other books she's written and they were OK.

11. The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue. I don't know anything about this book or this author!

12. The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne. This looks interesting.

13. At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks. I generally hate romance novels, but Sparks always puts his own spin on things and makes them seem less like romance novels, and more like real life. The best part? No trashy-looking covers that I'm embarrassed to take out in public!

Have you read any of these?


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

At First Sight and Between Georgia are great!

Geekwif said...

What a fun idea for a list. I actually haven't read any of these, but a few sound interesting.

Tracy S said...

I love Charlotte's Web too. I want to see the new remake of the movie. I have not read the book since I was a kid I really should again.

Crystal Jordan said...

I've already pre-ordered Deathly Hallows. I can't wait to see how it all ends.

Mercy's Maid said...

present storm-

I love the cartoon version of Charlotte's Web and a part of me would like to see the new version. But they use that crazy life-like animation and I can't abide spiders. I can barely stand to watch the previews when they show Charlotte.

Mercy's Maid said...

Crystal-

I thought about pre-ordering it, but I've never had a problem picking up a copy of a Harry Potter book at Wal-Mart on the day they're released. I'd rather do that than pre-order and possibly have to wait a day or two for it to come in the mail. I'm a greedy reader. :)

Anonymous said...

Great list! The Sara Gruen book is on my to-read list as well, and I love E.B. White's work.

Happy TT, and thanks for visiting my blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, a romance hater? Ahhh, sacrilege. Just kidding. Have a great TT.

Anonymous said...

I have not read any of these. But they look good.

Carol ReMarks said...

LOVE Elizabeth Berg. Thanks for stopping by my place.

Mitchypoo said...

I don't think I've read any of these, but I love children's literature so I will have to print your list. Thanks for visiting my TT!

Anonymous said...

Loved To Own a Dragon and The Girls. Between is great (as is Gods in Alabama). I have signed copies of Joss's books. She rocks. Irresistible Revolution is great too.

Carina said...

Sounds like you'd better get busy reading! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting on Joshilyn's second book in paperback, pre-ordered :) Haven't read any of the rest. I better get on it!

Scribbit said...

Charlotte's Web is my favorite children's book--it's the prettiest prose there is.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I loved Charlotte and was sadly disappointed in Stuart Little when I read it with the kiddoes a few months ago. It doesn't have a very strong storyline and is more a bunch of vignettes.

I'm eager to read Between, Georgia, too. And yes, her blog IS a hoot!

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

I love Charlotte's Web. I always cried at the end.

This is a great list and I'm going to be checking out some of the books you listed.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Anonymous said...

Darling Wife took Handsome Son to see the movie version of Charlotte's Web and just about had to leave the theater. So you're not the only one Mercy! :) I also can't wait for the new Harry Potter.

Lisa said...

What a great idea for a list. I might have to steal it.

We are anxiously awaiting Harry Potter here too.