Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Sheet Music


In Honor of Valentine's Day (or "a stupid manufactured holiday that only the materialistic care about") ahem.

I have changed my Myspace music to baby-makin' music. Had I thought of this sooner, I would have had a different song every day from the beginning of the month until tomorrow. That's life, I guess! Maybe I'll keep up this theme for the rest of February.

I only thought about it today because they were making a list of the best "love songs" on the radio. Interestingly enough, Silk's Freak Me was mentioned. I hadn't thought about that song in years and the other day it got stuck in my head and I started singing it. I think it kind of grossed Kevin out....all the talk about licking people for no good reason. (Although he did lick my elbow the other day in an effort to gross me out. Nobody ever accused us of being normal.) Then a couple of days ago, Arthur walked down our aisle singing little snippets of it and I think he was a little surprised when I sang along. Something about me being a freak. So hearing it mentioned on the radio this morning just proved that the song is making a come back. That song seems really over the top even today and it came out when I was in 8th or 9th grade. It was REALLY REALLY carnal back then.

(Don't worry, Freak Me won't be one of my Myspace songs)

Today's song is Norah Jones' Turn me On. She's just fabulous.

Other possible contenders are:

Keith Sweat (coincidentally, he also has a song called Freak Me)-But none of his good songs are available on Myspace.
Brian McKnight (he could sing the phone book to me and I'd be in love--OK, I already am.)
More Norah Jones (The Nearness of You, Come Away with Me, etc.)
Jamie Foxx
Etta James (but only At Last)
Amos Lee
R. Kelly (Feelin' on Yo Booty) --OK, that was a joke.

Who are your favorite baby-makin' musicians?

As an aside, what's up with musicians who just put a sample of their songs on Myspace? It's so annoying to find a song I really like and add it to my page only to find that it only runs for a few measures and then fades out. That's just idiotic. Myspace is pretty much excellent advertising for musicians. I understand them not wanting people to download their music, but what's the harm in letting people add a whole song to their page?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, your post brought back some of my funniest OBU memories. Jason would pick me up in "The Bird" and we'd drive around listening to what he called "G Money Funk". The song that will forever remind me of him is "Pony" by Ginuwine. Right at the top of your love songs list, right?

Mercy's Maid said...

"I'm just a Batch-luh...lookin' for a podnuh.." Pony reminds me of tanning beds. I just remember hearing it one time when I went to tan with my friend Elaine. I've heard it 100 other times, but that particular time stuck with me.

Anonymous said...

http://www.safenow.org/

nothing to do with today's topic, but i just laughed my bootily off

Mercy's Maid said...

Jim-

Too funny! I'll have to include the link in a blog post some time.