Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day How-Not-To

I apologize for this episode of premature publishing, but I will be out of pocket tomorrow (funeral) and won't be able to blog, so I figured I'd get an early start and write this on the 13th and just put the 14th's date on it. Nobody will be the wiser. Except I just explained what I'm doing. Oh well.

Everyone has those moments that aren't funny at the time, but it's possible to look back on them later and laugh, right? Lots of people have moments like that related to Valentine's Day. Last year, one of my friends received Chinese Take Out from her husband for Valentine's Day...actually, I'm not sure if she's laughing about that yet. I dare not bring it up.

A few years ago, I was dating a guy who apparently didn't think Valentine's Day was that important. He put absolutely no thought into my gift and basically went to Wal-Mart on his way home from work and picked through the candy aisle shambles. He came over with a heart shaped box of chocolates with a Valentine balloon taped to it and a card. The card was actually nice...except he didn't even sign it. He didn't write in it. It didn't even have my name on it anywhere. He gave me a blank Valentine card. Not wanting to seem ungrateful (and was I ever!), I didn't bother to say anything to him. *disclaimer- Kevin wants me to make it clear that this is not in reference to him. On the upside, I can re-gift the card.

My friend Mandy has compiled a list of bizarre and tacky Valentine's Day presents in her blog. She's funny. Go read it.

In keeping with the musical theme, it's time to consider songs that would not make good baby makin' music.

Here are a few that come to mind:

Dude Looks Like a Lady (unless you're into that kind of thing)
My Baby Daddy by B-Rock & The Bizz
Did I Shave My Legs For This? by Deana Carter
Pretty much anything off Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill album


And I'm tired, so I'll quit now. Today's baby makin' music is Janet Jackson's Any Time, Any Place. I heart Janet.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Loved this post yesterday. My sister recently told me about the date her friend went on not long ago. It was pretty much the Date From Hell. I keep bugging her to blog about it. It was unbelievably horrible.

I imagine Kevin did a good job.

Mercy's Maid said...

He did a great job. I don't deserve him. :)

Anonymous said...

my BF's idea of romance:

"Oh, Happy Valentine's Day. I bet you wondered when I was gonna call you and say that. So... there you go."

wow.

glad i don't like this hallmark holiday. Can Kevin give Erik lessons? Sheesh.

Mercy's Maid said...

Oh Jules...too funny.

I get the crappy girlfriend award. I ordered something for Kevin and it should have been here WAY before now, but the people "forgot" to send it to me. So his present didn't make it here in time. I'm hoping that it will be in the mail when I get home today. At least I had a card for him yesterday!