Monday, November 28, 2005

Home Again!

Actually I got home on Saturday, but I'm just now getting around to blogging.

The trip wasn't so bad. I got to spend a lot of time with my niece and nephew, so that was fun. My mom kind of started getting on my nerves almost immediately, but I did a pretty good job of not yelling. I think I only snapped twice.

It's just that everything she says to or about my cousin is hateful or negative and I get so sick of it. It's almost like she tries to prove to everyone that Kathy is stupid and a nuisance--all of it in front of Kathy, no less, and Kathy's not so stupid that she doesn't get what my mom is insinuating.

Snapping incidence #1:

We're all sitting in the living room. My sister walks in and says, "we're going to go eat early this evening, so be ready to leave at 4:00" My cousin says, "4:00? OK!" My mom says, "She doesn't even know what time 4:00 is! What time is 4:00, Kathy?!" and I said, "4:00 is 4:00! How's she supposed to answer that question?" Then she said, "What time is it now?" and my cousin looked at her watch and answered her correctly. So then my mom said, "so how long is 4:00 from now?" and then I think is when I snapped. I said, "I can't even figure that out! What are you trying to prove?!!" She said, "well, time means nothing to her, it's just a word, but she's so time obsessed!" Who freakin' cares? She's got Down's syndrome for goodness sakes, she's got limitations. Accept it and move on, it's not going to change. Arg!

Snapping incidence #2

We're getting ready to leave to come back home. My dad has just finished snapping at my cousin because she was taking too long to wash her hands after she used the bathroom and he's ready to get on the road. I, my BIL and niece and nephew are sitting in the living room, my dad and sister and in the hallway ajacent the living room. When my cousin dries her hands, my mom says, "She's got this thing about washing her hands a hundred times a day and she takes forever to do it!" (and launches into the same story everyone who comes in contact with her has already heard at least 10 times). So my sister says, "I noticed her hands are kind of red, I guess they're dried out from her washing them. I'll go get some lotion for her." Then my mom says, "OH, well she hates lotion!" But my sister just says, "Come here Kathy, we need to put some lotion on your hands because they're getting dry and they'll crack and bleed if we don't."

No comments: