Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Boom Chicka Boom Boom...

So I went to buy my friend's wedding related present today at lunch. I went to the only store in town (at least that I know of) that sells "adult products" tee hee hee. They also sell novelty items like fake roaches and barf and stuff. They have two "back rooms". One has a sign that says "lingerie" above it and the other has a sign that says "tobacco products". Of course by lingerie they mean adult toys and products and by tobacco products they mean bongs. But I digress.

When I first walked in, I noticed immediately that the only employee in the store was a lady who looked to be about 75 years old. I said to myself, and nearly out loud, "You've gotta be kidding me! I'm going to buy adult products from someone who could easily be my grandmother!" But I found the humor in it and tried to stop laughing so I wouldn't look like an idiot standing by myself laughing myself into oblivion.

She asked me if she could help me and without thinking about how I was phrasing what I was saying, I said, "I'm doing a bachelorette party and I just need to look around." I didn't think about that sounding like maybe I was a stripper or something until later. Long story short, I picked up a couple of things and saw some other things that really did make me laugh out loud for the remainder of the afternoon, like a total idiot, I might add.

I went to pay for them and when I got done she said, "Have fun!" and I said, "I will!" But then I thought I had probably cemented the idea that the products were actually for me in her mind. It's probably her standard way of tricking the shy customers into admitting they lied when they said, "this is for a friend!"

I wanted to ask what some of the merchandise was, but I didn't want to look stupid...but if any of my friends who read this have intimate knowledge of "fun" products, please e-mail me so I can ask you a question about the safety of one of the products I saw and the only use I can imagine it would have.

I wanted to go much MUCH bolder with what I bought, but I was afraid I would offend the sensitivities of the other party goers...even though I knew that the recepient of the gifts wouldn't really mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious. I can't wait to see what you ended up with!