Monday, September 19, 2005

A Sixth Love Language?

I'm of course referring to Gary Chapman's The Five Love Languages. I ordered it from paperbackswap.com the other day because: 1. It's free. 2. I think I've read it before, but didn't remember a lot about it. and 3. I've long suspected that I don't have a love language. :)

Chapman proposes that there are 5 love languages (ways in which an individual receives love):

1. Quality Time
2. Words of Affirmation
3. Gifts
4. Acts of Service
5. Physical Touch

I tried to apply this to myself, but I had a little trouble. I know for sure I'm not a #3 girl. Not a #5 girl, really. Probably not a #1 girl because I'm kind of a loner (yeah I know, that's what they say about serial killers too "oh...he was a loner...never bothered anybody...always kept to himself"). So that leaves Words of Affirmation and Acts of Service.

He suggests that if you're having trouble figuring out "what you are", you should think about what things hurt you most and the opposite of that will be your love language. So, for instance, if you're really hurt when you don't receive gifts, you love language is probably Gifts.

Isn't everyone hurt a little when someone says something ugly to them? That sticks and stones thing is a lie! So I'm not sure I'm Words of Affirmation....I just think I'm semi-normal.

That leaves Acts of Service. My problem with this is that you can make anything into an Act of Service. When someone cooks you dinner, how do you know that's an act of service and not a gift? Or if they're sitting with you to eat it, maybe it's quality time?

I'm probably nearest to an Act of Service girl though...I guess.

I've discovered that my primary needs seem to be consistency, stability, honesty, dependability, and respect. Are any of those acts of service? I think they're all pretty much common courtesy.

I've become a little hyper-sensitive lately to dishonesty, I guess. It seems like it's everywhere. I'm not mother Theresa, so don't get that idea, but it's starting to bug me.

<>

I don't understand why people ask people loaded questions and then get mad if the person doesn't tell them what to hear..."Do I look fat in this?" "As a matter of fact, you do!" Why? if you're going to ask the question, have the courage to hear the right answer. Else, just say what you really mean: "Tell me I look good in this." But maybe that's just Words of Affirmation people. If I know you and I ever ask you how I look in something, I'm not asking unless I want your honest opinion. If I look like a large sea mammal that's washed ashore, for goodness sakes, tell me so I don't make a fool of myself! Rest assured that I'll do the same for you, so don't ask me unless you really want to know.

<>

My officeish room smells like dog pee. Very unfortunate. I've tried everything to fix it, but it just won't go away. The worst part is that it's from a dog that wasn't even mine. Oh well.

No comments: