Tuesday, April 20, 2010

From the Garden to the Table

First of all, can I just say that these days, every time I open up my freezer to get a frozen pizza out, I have this irrational fear that Jamie Oliver is going pop up behind me and yell something sufficiently British...like, "Why are you eating this bloody garbage!?"

Now that that's out of the way...

Today I went to the pits of hell Wal*Mart to get a RX filled. They told me it would be about 15 minutes, so I wandered around for awhile (always a dangerous thing!). I ended up in the garden center and was overtaken by a fit of insanity the idea that I should buy some food plants. So I did. I bought two different tomato plants (with cute names)...one of which said it would do well as a container plant. I also bought a little basil plant. If this goes as I'm expecting, I will be 3 for 3 on killing basil plants.

Anyhoo, in case you're wondering, no, I don't eat tomatoes per se. But I do like salsa and creamy tomato basil soup. I also had the following experience while choosing soil...

Me: Ooh, look! Organic garden soil. That's the ticket!
Organic Soil: Pick me! Pick me!
Me: Well, I don't see why not. It's organic and it's garden soil. And I'm planting things that grow in a garden. I'll take two bags!

(Later the same evening)

Me: La la la...I'm planting things...la la la.
Organic Soil: I'm happy to be at your service (heh heh heh)
Me: What do you mean "NOT FOR USE IN CONTAINERS?!!"
Organic Soil: Sucker! Oh, and take a look at this "We recommend that you use garden gloves while using this product" (heh heh heh)

So the bottom line is, I've probably just given myself and all three plants a death sentence.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good luck! I dislike gardening. But I also feel strongly that the responsible thing to do would be grow some of our own food. Maybe when the kids are bigger.

Unknown said...

You are hilarious ;) By the way, do you have a specific recipe for your soup? I tried it homemade a couple months ago and my kids were actually in tears and gagging. We have an "eat it or starve" rule around here so it's very uncommon to see them go to such drastic measures to let me know it wasn't tasty.

Lainy said...

I have an ivy growing at this very moment and I am really surprised it's still alive! We've tried a couple other plants but they are now in that beautiful garden in the sky :( I thought about growing my own bell peppers, but I remember that I have the Black Thumb of death. Apparently that applies to fish too...