Thursday, January 21, 2010

Invention Submission


You know that commercial that comes on TV with the caveman inventing the wheel? They're trying to get people to submit their inventions...probably so they can totally screw you over and take your idea without giving you credit for it, but I don't know. Anyway, I need to invent a vacuum attachment that works on lungs. I think it would have to be for a wet/dry vac though and I've never seen any specialty attachments for those. I obviously don't have all of the details worked out yet.

Anyway, pardon me if I hack up a lung. I'm not contagious.

Yesterday was just chock full of excitement. There was a gas leak near my workplace, so in their infinite wisdom, they instructed all of us to evacuate...which meant a thousand cars starting up and idling for 30 minutes trying to get out of the parking lot. And several people who didn't feel like jumping in their cars and sitting in traffic, so they just stood outside and smoked. During a gas leak evacuation.

Needless to say, we all survived unscathed. Sadly, the campus was opened back up for business today, so we had to go back. I actually had to evacuate just minutes before a conference call, so I called my boss and asked him to call in to the conference and let the customer know what was going on and see if we could reschedule. He said OK.

Did he do that? Judging from the e-mail I got from my customer, um...no. But the customer rescheduled for an hour later and I had JUST walked in my door and logged in when it was time to call in. It's so convenient to be able to work from home.

(See what I did there? I'm counting my blessings.)

In other news, the free library audio book download thing is working out splendidly. As a surprising twist, I actually remembered where I had stowed my MP3 player for safe keeping, and after that, it was all gravy. It makes my workday so much better when I listen to books as I work. I have briefly considered trying to listen to a book while reading a different book, but then I realized that was a crazy thought and ditched it. I think there's something wrong with me. If I'm listening to something, my eyes need to be busy too. As Frankie said, maybe I should just RELAX.

No comments: