Thursday, April 02, 2009

Herding Cats II Challenge

Finally, a reading challenge that doesn't require reading! I'm not kidding. Rules from the original blog entry are posted below.


Here are the rules Herding Cats II (April 1st, 2009 - December 31st, 2009):

1. Make a list of five books you love. Directions:

Five. I'm as serious as a beached whale.
All titles must be books you've read in 2007, 2008 or 2009.
Please don't list a series; just the first book. If you really want to list a book in the middle of a series, you can, but it has to be that specific book.
Feel free to share why you're putting the book on your list, because I am nosy.
2. Post your list:

in your own journal, in the comments here, whatever is fine. Share the list here.
Lists should be public (no locked entries, no logging in to view).
3. Browse the new book list. Stay a while. Read a few (eta: if you want; not even reading is required this time around if you don't have time to commit to a new challenge but still want to share your favorites).

4. If you review your books, you can share the reviews. You know, if you want. No pressure. Definitely not.

The home page for this project is at http://www.echthroi.org/getliterate/herdingcats/ (or http://tinyurl.com/cdxk45). If you twitter, feel free to #herdcats over there. ;)

Important note: this is only a reading challenge if you want it to be!


My Five Books...and this is really hard, so they're not in any particular order.

1. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
The story of a society wherein women's rights have been stripped away in the name of religion. A caste system has emerged and handmaids are brought into homes to bear children for numerous infertile couples.

2. Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult
My favorite Picoult book so far. Very thought-provoking. I won't say too much about it for fear that I'll ruin some surprises.

3. The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg
I thought it was one of the most honestly written books I've ever read. The writing style (letters and journal entries) made it a quick read.


4. The Awakening by Kate Chopin
Kate Chopin was so edgy for her time. A fabulous story about an overwhelmed woman.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
I can't believe I waited so long to read this. It's fabulous!



And because it was such a tough decision, here are the honorable mentions:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Aubrey Niffenegger
Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons
Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell
My Darling, My Hamburger by Paul Zindel
Amazing Gracie by Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff
Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah
A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner



Books from the master list that I might possibly read:
Finding Violet Park by Jenny Valentine
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (it's already on my TBR shelf, so why not?)

2 comments:

raidergirl3 said...

I finished The Pull of the Moon today and quite enjoyed it. I had thought of reading it, but seeing it recommended on the list at herding cats was the final push.
thanks for the rec!

valentina said...

great list you have there!
Hope you enjoy whatever book you decide to read!