Monday, November 24, 2008

The Rules Are There Are No Rules

I started working on my very first quilt this weekend. I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm certain that I'm doing things in the least efficient way possible. :) So far, I have learned the importance of cutting straight edges. I have also learned that I do not possess a talent for cutting straight edges.

I do not heart math. Who knew that sewing would require so much of it? So I'm rebelling against math in sewing. Tonya at Lazy Gal Quilting is a proponent of "liberated quilting" wherein you do not have to follow a pattern and you just kind of make things with what you have on hand. It looks lovely when she does it, so I figured if Tonya doesn't have to follow any rules, neither do I!

But darn those non-straight lines. Ugh!

Anyway, here's a picture I took when I had just started making some wonky blocks and laying them out. I've taken some of the blocks apart and I've sewn some different ones together, so it doesn't actually look like this anymore, but you can still see the fabrics. The solid green that's peeking through is what will become the back of the quilt. Actually, I intend for it to become a quillow before it's all said and done, but we'll see.



I hope to be able to finish piecing the top together tonight. Then I guess my next step is to make my sandwich and pin it together. I've got a long car trip ahead of me this week, so I think I might save the actual quilting for the drive.

So my big questions are -- how do I make sure that the hand quilting doesn't come undone? And also, what's the easiest way to bind it?


2 comments:

Lisa said...

Are you cutting with scissors or do you have a rotary cutter and mat?

I prefer to pin with the curved safety pins as opposed to the straight ones.

The absolutely easiest way to bind it is to make the batting and top the exact same size, and the backing an inch or so wider. Fold that inch in half, and iron. Wrap it around to the front and sew it down. The corners are hard, but the rest is easy. Making binding is pretty simple, here's good tutorial:
http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2008/10/binding-tutorial.html

Mercy's Maid said...

I have a rotary cutter and mat.

I think I am going to do self-binding for this time. I like the look of cutting your own bias binding and using that, but I think I'll keep this one as simple as possible and save that for when I'm a little more experienced.