Saturday, September 27, 2008

Book Report 9/27/08

This week's books: The Mediator #6: Twilight and The Five People You Meet in Heaven

The Mediator #6: Twilight by Meg Cabot

I haven't read the first five of this series, but this book showed up on my doorstep and I like Cabot, so I read it anyway.

It's geared toward young adults and in this case, I think that it's fairly obvious. It's the story of a young mediator (think Jennifer Love Hewitt in The Ghost Whisperer) who has fallen in love with a ghost. She knows three other mediators (who knew they were so common!)- one is a priest at her Catholic school, one is another boy in her class (he's hateful) and one is the grandfather of the boy in her class.

Since the boy mediator has a crush on her, he's working out a way to get rid of her ghost boyfriend and she's trying to stop him.

There are some interesting ideas around time travel, but all in all, this was not my favorite Cabot book.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

I loved this book. This is one instance in which I saw the movie before I read the book and I can honestly say that I liked the movie as much as I liked the book. The images are vivid and sometimes profound.

Eddie is a maintenance guy at an amusement park. When he sees a ride start to malfunction, he rushes to the scene in an effort to save a little girl's life. In the process he is killed and goes on to a fanciful version of heaven where he meets five people who have played a part in his life or vice versa -- some of the people he meets, he doesn't even recognize. It goes to show that there is more going on behind the scenes than we realize. Our lives impact people and we don't always realize it.

Very quick and good read. It gave me the warm fuzzies.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I haven't read either yet.

But everyone is raving about Twilight . . .

Mercy's Maid said...

This is not the same Twilight. :) I love the other Twilight (by Stephenie Meyer).

Framed said...

It's been so long since I've read Five People but I really liked it also. Never saw the movie, though.