Friday, July 18, 2008

The Friday Parade O' Books

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
First of all, let me say that I liked the original Stargirl book. The main character is quirky and weird, but she's got something to teach her peers (and the reader). But I just didn't like this installment of Stargirl's life. She's over the top weird, and she never really runs into anyone who questions that. Everyone just accepts her and encourages her in her weirdness. It just got a little bit unbelievable. I also didn't see where her attraction to Perry came from. It seemed contrived.

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood
This is the type of book that the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover" was coined for. The cover on this one almost made me pass it up, but I just couldn't because I like this author a lot. It's the story of a girl/woman and how her childhood (specifically some mean little girls) molded her into who she grew up to be. It's interesting, but my favorite Atwood is still The Handmaid's Tale.

No comments: