Monday, February 25, 2008

Synthetic Fibers: Not Meant for the Microwave

OK, so in my last post, I mentioned that I had made a flax bag out of fleece fabric. Fleece is polyester. Which is basically plastic. As it turns out, one should never microwave synthetic fabrics because they MELT. I melted a hole in mine. When flax seeds burn, the smell is like burned popcorn. From now on, only 100%cotton. I made a few more (complete with little removable pillowcases)--one for me that's really cute. I'll have to post a picture one of these days. And a couple more that are in my Etsy store. More to come soon.

Hancock's was having an unadvertised Warehouse Sale this weekend, so I bought a ton of cotton fabrics, a rotary cutter, a self-healing mat, and all kinds of good stuff at 50% off. Now my entire kitchen table is covered in fabrics and I have a bit of a storage dilemma, but that's OK! I'm sure I'll figure it all out eventually. I'm thinking I can hang the larger pieces of fabric on hangers in the closet of my sewing room/guest bedroom, but I'm open to hearing about your fabric storage solutions too!

No comments: