My sewing machine tried to beat me down yesterday, but in the end, I prevailed. What had happened was, I only had 7 straight pins to my name (that I scrounged from around the house), so I could only pin little sections at a time. Then I was idiotic and left the pins in while I sewed. Which resulted in a bent sewing machine needle. So I had to go to Hancock's (oooer!) and get new needles and various other things. I think I did fairly well, though. Their sewing baskets were on sale 50% off, so I got a sewing basket filled with the basics (tape measure, seam ripper, tailor's chalk, pins, etc.) for $6.50!
I thought I was well on my way to successful sewing at that point. But as it turns out, the direction one sticks the needle into the sewing machine MATTERS! After hours of me trying to sew with the needle turned the wrong direction and having to rip out seams, I finally figured it out. Then things went fine.
Twelve hours later, I had created something with my very own hands and a pillowcase: