Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Gory Details

The Valium they gave me pre-op had absolutely NO effect on me. I couldn't tell any difference in the way I felt. Which wasn't fair because I watched the other patients and they were getting sleepy and seemed a little "out of it". I would have been better off if I had drunk a couple of glasses of wine before going.

As an aside: The doctor probably *thought* I was feeling the effects of the Valium because when I first got in there and they put a patch over one of my eyes, I said, "I'M A PIRATE!" He actually made me repeat myself and then he played along by saying, "AARG!" But, again, that was not due to the Valium. I'm just naturally an idiot.

Anyway, it was more painful than I had expected--mostly when they cut the flap in my cornea. That was ROUGH bordering on TERRIBLE, but luckily it only lasts for 30 seconds or so and by the time I got to the point where I thought I couldn't handle anymore, it was over. Then the actual laser process hurt some too--like being burned on the eye, but that didn't last too long either. I figure none of that would have been quite so bad if the meds had kicked in, so I don't mean to discourage anyone else from having it done.

All and all, it was just a very odd sensation to have springs(!) holding my eyes open and all of the other stuff that goes along with it.

I had my post op appointment yesterday and that went fine. I'm seeing fairly well, but still a little blurry. My vision should continue to improve as my eyes heal. I have another appointment next week to check my progress.

I appreciate all the prayers, phone calls, and well wishes. I was very calm throughout the whole thing and I attribute that to your prayers.

I don't think it's really sunk in that I'm seeing without contacts or glasses. When I got out of the shower yesterday, I automatically started patting the bathroom counter top in search of my glasses. Then I remembered. :)

I have much blogging to catch up on. Keep your eyes peeled (tee hee) for more posts.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

don't weary your eyes by reading or writing too often.

This is such a fantastic medical miracle, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

hope i never have to do that
if my vision ever goes, i'll be stuck with glasses, i don't believe i could ever do contacts, it takes me at least 6 tries to get a single eyedrop in when i need to, takes my wife about 4 tries holding me down, can't stand anything touching my eyes
get well soon Dudette!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it went well! I'm not sure I'm brave enough for that business. I'm proud of you!