Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Captivating Chapter 7: Romanced

Chapter 7 talks about all of the things God does to romance us on a daily basis. It might be a great sunset, a patch of wildflowers, a waterfall, a rainbow...but there are everyday things that God didn't have to make beautiful. He could have made sunsets boring...or wildflowers boring, but he chose to make them beautiful, all in an effort to romance us.

They keep using all of these movies and books that I haven't watched or read to illustrate, and it's driving me crazy. I have no interest in Lord of the Rings, for goodness sakes...I watched the first one that came out and couldn't remember who was who. :) A Little Princess I actually do have an interest in--it's on my to be read shelf. I've started reading it now because I'm afraid they're going to ruin the story for me. :)

I'm sorry, that was just an aside.

Anyway, God romances us, whether we take time to notice it or not. He romances us to show us He loves us. When we know we are loved, something comes alive in us.

Stasi talks about a time when she felt God calling her "darling". I can't say he's ever outright called me darling, but there was a time when I felt him saying, "I love you...I love you...I love you" over and over again. It was the strangest thing because I didn't realize that at that moment, that's exactly what I needed to hear from him, but once he said it, I knew it was just what I needed.

Zephaniah 3:17 says:

The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to
save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you
with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.

I knew in my experience I described above that God was singing the words "I love you" over me. That's one of my favorite "God experiences" to date. He was speaking to my heart and he was romancing me.

This romancing is immensely personal. It will be as if it has been
scripted for your heart...We have missed many of his notes simply because we
shut our hearts down in order to endure the pain of life. Page 116

Just as we long for God, He longs for us too. We accept that as a blanket statement, but it's more personal than that. He longs for ME. Even if everyone else in the whole world was in a perfectly intimate relationship with God,he would still long for ME.

Reading George MacDonald several years ago, I came across an astrounding
thought. You've probably heard that there is in every human heart a place
that God alone can fill....But what the old poet was saying was that there is
also in God's heart a place that you alone can fill. "It follows that there is also a chamber in God himself, into which none can enter but the one,
the individual." You. You are meant to fill a place in the heart of God no one and nothing else can fill. Page 120


It says that it's really important for us to find time each day to spend in worship, thanking God and enjoying his love for us.

To be spiritual is to be in a Romance with God. Page 127

No comments: