Wednesday, May 20, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Since I last posted...

I enjoyed a weekend in Memphis with my sisters (Memphis in May, which should be renamed Memphis in Mud).



My sister has already bought rain boots for us to wear next year. We hear that the Beale Street Music Festival is commonly muddy.

Had a near-death experience at the Snoop Dogg show, but we survived!

Hmm...what else? I harvested the first of my basil last night. I had no idea that I wasn't supposed to let it flower, so it may not be any good. I will know better next time. I made a batch of pesto last night and hope to use it in some kind of chicken recipe. I'm not too sure about the pine nuts though. I had a hard time blending those into the sauce without leaving chunks. I'm not sure I'll like the texture. Maybe next time I will toast the nuts before I blend them.

I'm thinking of growing my own tomatoes next year. I don't eat tomatoes straight off the vine, but I do like soups and sauces made with fresh tomatoes. I have no idea what the difference is between the various varities. If you know what different varieties are good for, let me know. I'll have to grow them in a pot, so I don't know if that makes a difference either. I think I would like to grow a heirloom variety just because they seem more "pure" or something. (You can blame this on Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle which I am liking *very* much.)

I'm new to this "growing stuff" business. :) Your advice is welcome and necessary.

No comments: