Thursday, April 16, 2009

Cause Celeb by Helen Fielding

Cause Celeb by Helen Fielding

I really enjoyed this author’s Bridget Jones Diary series, so I was compelled to pick this book up and give it a try.

I tried to like it. I really did, but I just couldn’t. If it hadn’t been for my previous good experience with the author’s work, I wouldn’t have bothered to finish it.

The main character goes from hanging around in celebrity circles with her no-good-for-her famous boyfriend to volunteering at an African relief camp. I thought it tried to straddle the world of Chick-Lit and serious fiction and it just didn’t work for me. I got frustrated with the character when she would put up with over the top nonsense from her boyfriend, and I thought parts of the relief camp story were unbelievable.

For instance, there is a plague of locusts which is threatening the crops in a region that is already famine-stricken. So the main character goes on a daring trip to talk to someone important about getting some aid (all the while nearly being blown to pieces) and the next thing you know, she and her companion are hiding out in the wilderness smoking pot and hooking up. What? Just strange.

I can’t recommend this one.

No comments: