Monday, November 17, 2008

Just When You Thought I'd Gotten Illiterate

I have really slowed down in the reading department lately. I just finished my first book for November and it's the 15th, for goodness sake!

I'm absolutely not going to reach my 100 books in 2008 goal (I'm sitting at 75 now), but that's OK. Maybe things will pick up soon, but I just haven't been motivated to read.

I do have a couple I haven't written review for yet, so here they are.

Night by Elie Wiesel

This was one of the books I started during Banned Books week. It's an autobiography of a Jewish man who was sent to a concentration camp with his family during the Holocaust. It was banned for being "depressing"...you think?! Was he supposed to paint it as a rosy picture?

Anyway, I thought it was well-written and painted some very vivid pictures of what life was like for Jews in concentration camps. Sad, yes, but worth the read. It's a very small book, so it goes pretty quickly.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

This is my second time to read this book. The first time I listened to it on audio book, and this time I read it because it was one of my book club's selections. One nice thing about the book is that there are old circus pictures at the beginning of each chapter that go along very well with the themes of the chapters. I loved the ones of the elephants and their handlers. Here's a link to my previous review.

No comments: