Thursday, March 08, 2007

13 Books on my Wish List (TT #5)


13 Books on my Wish List


Prepare to see just how random I really am. Let me know if you've read any of these and what you thought of them.

1…. Rumspringa: To Be or Not to Be Amish by Tom Shachtman

Rumspringa occurs during an Amish person's 16th year. I think it literally means something like, "running around wild". Each 16 year old is given the freedom to live like the world (enjoy modern conveniences, smoke, drink, you name it). At the end of Rumspringa, they have to decide if they want to continue to be Amish or go live like the world. If they decide to be Amish, they will be baptized into the church and aren't expected to change their mind about the church from that point on (lest they be shunned). Interesting culture.

2. Homeland by Barbara Kingsolver

I don't even know that much about this particular book, but I've never read a Kingsolver book that I didn't like.

3. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Yes, Jenny, I'm fascinated with the Chinese, what can I say?

4. Cesar's Way by Cesar Millan

Maybe there's a section on doggy exorcism. At this point, that might be the only thing that would help Butter.

5. Geisha: A Life by Mineko Iwasaki

I kind of loved Memoirs of a Geisha, but I think this book actually is a memoir.

6. To Own a Dragon by Donald Miller

I think I have all of his other books (I've only read Blue Like Jazz so far though) and I really love his writing style. This book shares his thoughts on growing up without a father.

7. Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde

I have all of the preceeding books in this series (the Thursday Next series), but I don't have this one.

8. Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

I'm in love with Sedaris' humor.

9. Wives Behaving Badly by Elizabeth Buchan

This is the sequel to Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman which I thought was brilliant.

10. A Tale of Two Sisters by Anna Maxted

I've enjoyed nearly every Maxted book I've ever read.

11. Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door

Truss is a genius. I loved Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approace to Punctuation.

12. To Fly Again by Gracia Burnham

This is the follow up to In the Presence of My Enemies. It's written by a missionary to the Philippines who was kidnapped (along with her husband) and was forced to hide out in the jungle with her captors for something like a year. Her husband was actually killed during the exchange of fire that freed them. This is the story of her life after her ordeal ended.

13. Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid by Lemony Snicket

OK, so this one isn't even out yet, but I still want to read it. I'm fascinated with all things Snicket.


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice list. Not what I'd choose though. I may do this next week!

Sonya said...

Interesting list. I'll have to check into some of the titles.

Thanks for stopping by my new place!

Anonymous said...

the name of your blogger is cute i went to a highschool called mercy. thanx for stopping by my site!

Suni said...

to own a dragon sounds good. thanx for more books to look up :D

Anonymous said...

I don't get the Thursday Thirteen. Do you come up with your own topic each week?

Mercy's Maid said...

Yes, you come up with your own topic.

Heather said...

I have always wanted to read Geisha, and you are right. It is an actual memoir, not a novel.

Anonymous said...

Those sound interesting. I'll have to add them to my library list.

Thanks for stopping by!

Claire said...

I like the randomness! I will have to check these out.
Oh check my blog now you are now a Happy 100!
Let me know if its ok that i post this?
Toodle Pip!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hey, fellow bookcrosser and PBSer -- thanks for stopping by West of Mars (check out my shelves, if you want -- I'm West of Mars at both places)!!

I have both Two Sisters and Snow Flower on Mt. TBR. Which means who knows when I'll get to them, but they're there! :D

Happy TT; hope it's a good one.

Anonymous said...

I'd add these to my library list, but I owe the library 100.00!!! After I pay that, I'll go look at Amazon for some of these! ;)

RUTH said...

Popped over from Claire's to say Congrats. An impressive selection of bks!

Unknown said...

Nope I haven't read any of them. Although I haven't heard of many of them.

Linda said...

Congratulations on being Claire's 5,000th visitor! And thanks for stopping by my blog!

Nice place you have here!

Anonymous said...

It looks like you spend as much time in a bookstore as I do. :) It's an addiction, but as far as addictions go, it's a healthy one, don't you think?

Thanks for stopping by earlier! Happy Thursday!

Lisa said...

1 and 3 are both on my wish list! Well, actually, I HAVE Snow Flower, I just wish for time to read.

Sword Mama said...

I like to read anything about Geisha's; they are very fascinating. I'd like to check out number 11 too and the Lemony Snicket. "To Fly Again" sounds very intense. I'll have to save these. :-)

Job said...

I stumbled upon your blog through another's. thanks for the TT!

Job said...

Hey. May I ask how you set up the autolinks box on your blog for TT?

Mercy's Maid said...

Jacqueline,

Go to this link and sign up for this website (I use the free features) http://www.blenza.com/linkies/register.php

After you're registered, check out the widget section and it will give you the code and directions on how to set up the auto links. If you run into any problems, let me know. I'll walk you through it.

jasonandjennyt said...

Goodness! Look all your comments, Ms. popular! Anyway, you probably know more about the Chinese than I do by now.

Anonymous said...

Wow that's a varied list of books! I wish I had more time to read. Happy T13 and thanks for stopping by :)

Marilyn said...

I think I'll read #1, after I get done with the novel I'm working on.

Thanks for the list... also the linky widget advice. I need one of those.

Michelle said...

I bought "Talk to the Hand" because I love her humor and I adored this book. In the margins I kept writing Yes! Exactly! She tells it like it is. Definitely a good read.

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

My humans say they haven't read any of those books. They read a lot of science fiction, fantasy and historical fiction, and my human dad reads a lot of military history since he's an officer in the Canadian Forces. Some of those books sound interesting!

Thanks for visiting!

Di said...

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was one of my all time favorites from 2006. Anything by David Sedaris is bound to make you laugh out loud. His stuff is good to listen to also.

When you are reading Snow Flower, look of foot binding on Google...it is interesting in a very sick kind of way.

Chelle said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and I have often wondered the exact same thing; where does the Magic Eraser go?

Anonymous said...

Rumsrpinga and Cesar's Way sound pretty good.

My little Maxie could use some help here and there.

Mercy's Maid said...

Jenny,

I have learned little snippets of information. Ba ba seems to be dad. Moi Moi seems to be younger sister. I don't know what Tai Tai is, but the most recent Chinese-related book used that a lot.

(And of course I already knew ur ga ga- second oldest brother and dae wu piku from YOU!). You're the one who got the ball rolling.

Tammy C said...

A big Lemony Snicket Fan!!Can't wait for the Horseradish book in April.

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to read #1! Haven't read or heard of any of the others except #4, which my mother has. I adore Caesar, but I have no dog... so I don't have much reason to read it. *laugh*

Thanks for visiting me this week!

jasonandjennyt said...

Tai tai means wife. :)