Thursday, December 29, 2005

Tacky Christmas Continued...



The magnitude of this tackiness cannot be adequately conveyed with mere pictures. Yes, the Santa on the roof on the picture on the left was animated so that he shook his butt. Yes, the helicopter at the bottom of that picture would have given the appearance that the propellers were moving (had the propeller lights not been halfway burned out), but still, I cannot express the shock and awe that this particular display caused. Yet I will try.

It all started as my dear friend Roz and I were driving around (as we do every Christmas season) looking at lights, critiqing lights, and basically talking smack about people who haphazardly decorate for Christmas. This is our tradition. Some sing carols. Some drink wassail. We strive to find the tackiest Christmas lights in town.

After a period of time spent driving (fairly fruitlessly), Roz spotted the above display. In her excitement she yelled, "Jackpot!" and I feared she would attempt a U-turn, uninhibited by traffic laws and public safety due to her overwhelming joy. I screamed out, "NO! Don't do the U-turn. We can circle back around!" And circle back around, we did! When we arrived on the scene, we knew we had stumbled upon something the likes of which we had never seen before (thank goodness!). These people had their front yard and back yard decorated. The roof of every stationary structure had been bedazzled with various different colored strands of lights, blinking irregularly and not at all in unison. Somehow they had even strung lighted snowflakes in the boughs of even the highest trees on their property. They had even wrapped some of the highest branches of a back yard tree with red lights (only the high branches, mind you). I suspect that they had to rent a cherry-picker from the local equipment rental company to pull this display off. They don't make ladders that tall.

I didn't have my camera with me the first time we spotted it (what was I thinking?!), so we went back and got it and made a return trip. In the meantime I called my parents and gave them the approximate location and told them it was worth the trip. They agreed.

This year's white trash Christmas award goes to the above family at approximately 27th St. and Grand Ave.

Congratulations, White Trash Family Decoration Family!

No comments: